- 1 hr.
- 1 hr. 15 min.
- 6 servings
Old-Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
|Cook||1 hr. 15 min.|
- 1 frying chicken (3 to 3 1/2 lbs.), cut up
- 1 large onion, peeled, cut in half
- 1 large carrot, peeled, cut in half
- 1 large celery stalk, cut in half
- 8 cups water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups Martha White® Self-Rising Flour
- 1/3 cup Crisco® All-Vegetable Shortening
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- COMBINE chicken, onion, carrot, celery and water in Dutch oven. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 1 hour or until tender. Remove chicken from broth. Remove vegetables from broth and discard. Cool chicken and broth slightly. Remove chicken from bones. Cut into bite-sized pieces. Skim fat from surface of cooled broth. Bring broth to a boil. Add butter, salt and pepper.
- PLACE flour in medium bowl. Cut in shortening with pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add 1/2 cup chicken broth. Stir with fork until dough leaves sides of bowl.
- ROLLED DUMPLINGS: Roll out dough on lightly floured surface to 1/8-inch thickness. Cut dough into strips or small squares.
- DROP DUMPLINGS: Press dough on lightly floured surface to 1/2-inch thickness. Pinch off dough in small pieces.
- DROP dumplings 1 at a time into boiling broth. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 15 minutes or until dumplings are firm. Gently stir once or twice during cooking to prevent dumplings from sticking together. Stir chicken pieces into dumpling mixture just before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6 of recipe), Calories 540 (Calories from Fat 260), Total Fat 29g (Saturated Fat 9g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 105mg, Sodium 1030mg, Total Carbohydrate 31g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 1g), Protein 34g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%, Vitamin C 0%, Calcium 15%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.