- 15 min.
- 25 min.
- 6 servings
Carolina Shrimp and Grits Cornbread
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, preferably applewood smoked, cooked and crumbled, reserve drippings
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 (6 oz.) package Martha White® Cotton Country® Buttermilk Cornbread Mix
- 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, drained and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon Crisco® Pure Vegetable Oil
- 1 1/4 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, shelled and deveined
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Hot sauce
- Remaining bacon and green onions for garnish
- HEAT oven to 400º F. Return 2 tablespoons bacon drippings to 10 1/4-inch Lodge cast iron skillet. Stir together egg, milk, 1 tablespoon bacon drippings, butter, cheese, and cornbread mix in medium bowl until well blended. Stir in half the reserved bacon, red peppers and 1/4 cup green onions. Pour into prepared skillet and spread evenly. Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
- HEAT 1 tablespoon bacon drippings and oil in 12-inch Lodge cast iron skillet over medium-high heat until hot. Add shrimp. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Cook until shrimp turns pink, stirring occasionally, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and mushrooms. Cook and stir 2 to 3 minutes. Add broth and lemon juice and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Stir in hot sauce to taste.
- TOP cornbread with shrimp mixture. Sprinkle with remaining crumbled bacon and 1/4 cup green onions. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Information Per Serving
Serving Size (1/6), Calories 450 (Calories from Fat 220), Total Fat 24g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g), Cholesterol 220mg, Sodium 1220mg, Total Carbohydrate 25g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 5g), Protein 34g; Percent Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%, Vitamin C 15%, Calcium 10%, Iron 15%.
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.